Since the beginning of my career, I have pursued two loves: Intellectual property law and appellate litigation.
Intellectual property law I love for its substantive elegance. Both copyright and trademark law stem from a strong statutory scheme, but the application of those rules to the particular facts of a case leaves a lot of room for lawyering to make a difference. I am certified as an expert in intellectual property law by the Florida Bar. Within intellectual property law, I maintain a particular focus on internet, technology and photography copyright issues, and trademark and trade dress negotiation, counseling, and litigation.
Appellate litigation I love for its procedural elegance. Appellate brief writing allows me to look at the big picture of a case from a strategic standpoint and distill the essence of the issues. I get to delve into the record, immerse myself in a particular area of law, and come out at the end with a pretty package that tells the story in a focussed and persuasive way. I have represented clients in civil appeals in Florida state appeals courts, the District of Columbia Court of Appeals, and in Federal appeals in the United States Courts of Appeals for the First, Fourth, Ninth, Eleventh, and District of Columbia Circuits and the United States Supreme Court. Prior to entering private practice, I got the special opportunity to understand appellate practice from the judge’s side of the briefs while serving as a law clerk to the Honorable Susan H. Black on the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
In 2013, I formed Dineen Pashoukos Wasylik, P.A. to better serve my clients in offering quality appellate and intellectual property representation.
Give me a copyright or trademark appeal and I am in lawyer nirvana.
DISTINCTIONS, APPOINTMENTS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- The only attorney in Florida certified by the Florida Bar as an expert in both Intellectual Property Law and Appellate Practice
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Hillsborough Association of Women Lawyers
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEECHES
- Author, Copyright Registration: A Requirement, but Not Jurisdictional,
Hillsborough County Bar Association Lawyer magazine, May 2010. (PDF Copy)
- Author, The Changing Face of Copyright Registration Practice,
Hillsborough County Bar Association Lawyer magazine, October 2009. (PDF Copy)
- Author, Days are Days: Calculation of Time and Other Changes to the Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure,
The Record: Journal of the Appellate Practice Section
, Fall, 2009. (PDF Copy)
- Presenter, “Keyword Searches, Meta Tags, and Use in Commerce: Trademark Infringement in Internet Advising,” CLE presentation sponsored by the Intellectual Property Section of the Hillsborough County Bar, presented October 21, 2009.
- Presented Talk on “IP Developments in the Music Industry,” which was part of the Intellectual Property Law Update seminar sponsored by NBI, Tampa, FL, December 6, 2007.
- Solo Panelist, Journalism in the Blogosphere: A Guide to Internet ‘Press,'” South by Southwest Interactive, Austin, TX, March 12, 2007.
- Author, “To 50(b) or not to 50(b): Unitherm, Winghouse, and the New Rule 50,” The Record: Journal of the Appellate Practice Section, Winter/Spring 2007.
- Author, “Hostage Crisis: Ensuring Clients Retain Control of their Websites,” Hillsborough County Bar Association Lawyer magazine, Sept.. 2006.
- Author, “The Changing Trademark Laws,” Hillsborough County Bar Association Lawyer magazine, Dec. 2006.
- Panelist, “Advanced Seminar on Copyright Law, 2004,” Practicing Law Institute, New York, New York, May 24-25, 2004.
- Taught “Media Law” segment of Student Publications School at the Leadership Institute, Arlington, Virginia, August 1, 2004.
- Contributed to Copyright chapter in Law of the Student Press (4th Edition, forthcoming), to be published by the Student Press Law Center.
- Dineen P. Wasylik, “Music and Movies on the Internet”, Advanced Seminar on Copyright Law, PLI Order No. 3200, 787 PLI/Pat 669 (May 2004)
- Panelist, “Post-Napster: The Future of Entertainment Distribution, South by Southwest Interactive,” Austin, TX, March 13, 2001.
- Bruce G. Joseph & Dineen P. Wasylik, “Copyright Issues on the Internet and the DMCA”, 2003 Advanced Seminar on Copyright Law, PLI Order No. GO-O1AK, 745 PLI/Pat 451 (May/June 2003).
- Bruce G. Joseph & Dineen P. Wasylik, “Copyright Issues on the Internet and the DMCA,” PLI Order No. GO-OON5, 653 PLI/Pat 245 (2001).
- Thomas Kirby, Bruce Joseph, and Dineen Pashoukos Wasylik, “Taking on Visual Search Engines on the Internet: Les Kelly Wins a Victory for Photographers Everywhere,” Professional Photographer, July 2002.
- Thomas Kirby, Bruce Joseph, and Dineen Pashoukos Wasylik, “It’s All About Image, The Importance of Obtaining a Subject Release,” Professional Photographer, January 2001.
- Thomas Kirby, Bruce Joseph, and Dineen Pashoukos Wasylik, “Skyy’s the Limit: Federal Court Confirms Copyright Protection for Commercial Advertising Photos,” Professional Photographer, Dec. 2000.
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- District of Columbia
- New York
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Courts of Appeals for the First, Fourth, Ninth, Eleventh, Federal, and District of Columbia Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Middle District of Florida, Southern District of Florida, and District of Columbia
- Attorney, Conwell Kirkpatrick, Tampa, FL
- Attorney, Technology and Intellectual Property Practices, Fowler White Boggs Banker, Tampa, FL
- Attorney, Intellectual Property & Appellate Practices, Wiley Rein & Fielding LLP – Washington, D.C.
- Judicial Clerk, United States Court of Appeals for The Eleventh Circuit, Honorable Susan H. Black – Jacksonville, FL
DPW Legal is conveniently located in Wesley Chapel, Florida within easy driving distance of the Tampa or Lakeland offices of the Second District Court of Appeal, and the Tampa or Gainesville courthouses for the Middle District of Florida. We serve clients throughout Florida, not just in Tampa or Wesley Chapel, including Land O’Lakes, Lutz, New Port Richey, Port Richey, Zephyrhills, Dade City, San Antonio, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, and beyond to Gainesville, Tallahassee, Orlando, Lake Wales, Daytona Beach (home of the Fifth District Court of Appeal), Miami, Fort Meyers, Jacksonville, and more. Most matters can be handled by telephone and electronically without meeting in person, but we know clients love to see where we get the job done, so please take a tour of our Wesley Chapel Offices. Come on in and look around!
Call to make an appointment at our Wesley Chapel Offices, conveniently located in the Summergate Professional Center in Seven Oaks, near the intersection of State Road 56 and Bruce B. Downs, and near the apex where I-275 and I-75 rejoin.